Social media isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. If anything, we can expect new developments, improvements, and advancements in current and new social media platforms. It has become the preferred method of real-time communication, marketing, and business exchange today. Anyone looking for a cost-effective and impactful way to market themselves and their brand is using social media. That doesn’t mean that everyone is using social media correctly or seeing the results that they want. In fact, that number is much smaller than you’d think. That’s because so many people using the platform are making egregious social media marketing mistakes. Don’t let that be you!
Social Media Marketing News You Should Know for 2020
Like all internet platforms, advancements in social media are the norm. New internet marketing trends can have a major impact on your social media strategy and best practices. It’s a good idea to stay up to date with new and upcoming social media marketing news. For 2020, there are a few key points you should be aware of going forward:
- 3.5 billion users - Currently, 3.5 billion people use social media on an active, daily basis. This means that 45% of the population uses social media, making it one of the most popular online activities worldwide. One of the reasons social media has grown in popularity is the integration of mobile applications, making it faster and easier to access for users.
- Facebook is king — Since it’s inception 16 years ago, Facebook continues to be the favorite social media platform for users around the world at over 2 billion users. Around 68% of adult users are using Facebook. If you’re looking to reach a larger organic audience, Facebook should be part of your social media strategy.
- Time well spent - On average, social media users spend over 3 hours a day on various platforms. It’s safe to say that the global population has become social media addicts. This everyday integration into our daily lives means more opportunities for you as a business owner to reach your target audience.
Common Social Media Mistakes by Companies
Social media mistakes by companies and individuals alike can make the difference between increased revenue and lost sales. You want to make sure you are not committing these social media mistakes since they can ultimately affect your bottom line. Here are the social media mistakes to avoid and how to fix them:
- Brand identity — Many companies lack brand identity. Merely posting your products on Facebook or Instagram won’t work. You want your customers to be completely clear on what your company is selling and you want them to be excited about it. In order to do this effectively, your messaging should be tailored to your target audience by making a personal connection through social media. This may include posting news related to the products you sell or discussing a cause centered around your services. Consistency across all platforms plays a key role in ensuring that there is no confusion in your messaging. Whatever social media platforms you plan to use, creating a signature style that sets you apart will keep your customers coming back for more.
- Feedback — No company likes negative feedback but it shouldn’t be ignored. Make the most of negative feedback to make adjustments to your brand rather than taking it as a personal attack. Use negative feedback to your advantage by resolving customer complaints on the spot. This shows that your company not only cares about your consumers but is timely to respond and resolve any issues.
- Target audience — Too many companies use social media without researching their target audience. Do your homework! Before you make another post, commit to knowing your target audience inside and out through analyzing research, analytics, and consumer trends. It’s not up to your customers to find you. You must find your customers and connect with them. You can do this by creating customer persona sheets using Google analytics, social media insights, and email. Use this information to create your posts and messaging so that you have the full attention of your target audience.
- Content — Companies that don’t diversify their content become bland and uninteresting. You want your target audience to rally around your messaging from different platforms. Include a blog that shares useful information about the market you are in or presents different ways to use your product. Host giveaways on social media or use video content to showcase how to use your products. Use Instagram Stories to your advantage by posting pictures or videos of the behind the scenes workings of your organization. Partner up with another organization that compliments your product. The added exposure will generate new interest and solidify social proof in your brand.
- Optimization — If you’re not posting on Instagram or Facebook stories, you’re missing out! If you are posting, the content should be significantly different from the content posted on the main page. For those who are using Linkedin to advertise their business, posts should be much more professional and longer. For every platform, you should be optimizing your content by adjusting the post length, style, and images.
- Engagement — The purpose of social media is to be social! That means responding to posts, messages, and questions on all social media platforms promptly or at least within 24 hours. Think of social media as your primary relationship tool and have a conversation with your customers. Let them get to know the brand and make a personal connection. It becomes more challenging to manage as your followers increase but using social media tools like alerts will help you stay on top of post responses.
- Scheduling — One of the biggest social media mistakes is not using platforms strategically. Posts can be strategic and intentional by using a social media scheduling tool. It is challenging to come up with content on a daily basis so planning and prioritizing your posts ensures engagement stays consistent. You will still have a chance to switch things up when all posts are planned but using social media planning software like Hootsuite and Buffer can help maintain consistent messaging across all platforms.
Contact Us for a Free Audit
Creating brand excitement and loyalty on social media has a lot to do with creating great, eye-catching headlines that bring your target audience in and keep them engaged. Once you get your customers where you want them, you want to maintain their attention. You can only accomplish this by understanding what your target audience wants and how to reach them. Monitoring analytics and results on a regular basis will help you decipher what your audience is looking for and what they are most interested in. Remember, posting consistently will keep your audience engaged and help you grow your social media presence.
Some social media marketing mistakes can be avoided by knowing what platform you should be focusing on. Not all social media platforms are the right ones for you. Choosing the best one based on the products and services you provide will attract the audience you want. Each platform has a different audience and spending your limited resources on the right one can prevent wasted time, energy, and money.
Let us help you avoid making social media mistakes! With over 25 years of experience in marketing, we can guide you through the planning process and establish a clear direction and unified messaging for all of your marketing efforts. Take the next step and contact us for a free audit today!