Have you received a marketing email lately from a business you’ve purchased from? That’s because email campaigns are still alive and well. They are highly effective at keeping a business at the forefront of a customer’s mind by consistently reminding them of the value they provide. Repeat and consistent business is the goal of an effective email campaign and they know that at some point you may refer them to someone else or make another purchase. You may delete the email today but when you need the product or service again, you’ll click on the link they provide.
What Is an Email Campaign?
Do you want to know how they do it? First, let’s discuss what an email campaign is. In simple terms, an email campaign is a commercial message sent to a targeted audience through the use of email and usually includes advertisements, requests, or a sales pitch. The main goal behind email campaigns is to convert prospective buyers into paying customers. Subsequent follow-up messages are meant to encourage repeat customers and referrals. Creating an email campaign takes an average of two or more weeks and can be divided into the following segments:
- Ideas and needs — Establishing your goals and needs will help you generate appropriate ideas for a great email campaign.
- Design — High performing email campaigns are designed to catch the attention of potential and current customers. Elements of successful email campaigns include easy reading structure, relevant content, alignment with the design of your website, and consideration of how the content is received. Mobile optimization should be a priority now that more customers are getting their content from mobile devices.
- Coding — The technical aspect of email marketing is proper coding. Elements like font type, image sizes, and pixels can make or break your email campaign. The simpler the better.
- Template creation - With the help of a designer, a beautiful and organized design can catch your customer’s eye.
- Segmentation and configuration - An email list of prospective customers is great. Segmenting this list into groups by geographic location, interests, and purchase history can create a personalized touch that your customers will appreciate and connect with.
- Deployment — Email delivery is when an email is sent. Email deliverability is when it lands in the potential customer’s inbox. Landing in the potential customer’s spam folder is a concern of any email campaign. By analyzing key metrics, you can determine what percentage of emails are delivered and how many make it to the inbox.
This process can be streamlined with the use of email campaign templates. Now, the need for customization or new coding can be avoided and a quicker turnaround for a completed email template is more likely. New images and a copy can be added to email campaign templates to make them look fresh and unique.
Create Email Campaign with an Email List
To start an email campaign, you’ll need an email list. The highest ROI is generated with an engaged group of email subscribers looking forward to your emails. This may take some work at the beginning, but it will ensure a successful and targeted email campaign. Here are some options to create an email list:
- Website - Creating a signup sheet from your website is a convenient way to collect a list of interested prospects. Creating a pop up on your website that includes a sign-up opportunity to a newsletter will help you collect the data you need from potential customers.
- Signup sheet — Signup sheets are a quick and convenient way to gather contact information from individuals interested in your business. These are often used at marketing events, trade shows, and other promotional events that allow you to showcase your business.
- Social media — Nowadays, social media has made it increasingly easier to gather the information you need from your target audience. You can use your Facebook, Instagram, or Linkedin accounts to drive signups to your website.
When you want to expand your list of subscribers, try the following:
- Contests — Spark interest in your brand by hosting online or offline contests. Everyone loves the prospect of free giveaways and people that wouldn’t normally be interested in your offerings may participate. This helps to expand your subscriber base and reach new potential customers.
- Shareable — Making emails shareable is essential to spreading the word about what you have to offer. When you’ve taken the time to create an excellent and appealing email, you’ll want everyone to know about it.
- Landing page - With great images and valuable content, a landing page with a call to action will help you expand your customer base and drive email signups quickly.
Secrets of Great Email Campaigns
When considering that you’ve been an email subscriber of a business you purchased from, you can understand the fickle nature of this group. Yet, email marketing is very fruitful. A study conducted by the Direct Marketing Association indicates that for every $1 spent on an email, there was an average ROI of $38. This means that when potential customers are looking to buy, they are checking emails to make the purchase. Still, the trick is to stand out from all the other businesses that are flooding inboxes with their pitches. Here’s how to shine:
- Repeat — When you find an email campaign formula that works, stick with it! That’s why email campaign templates are so valuable because they allow you to duplicate successful efforts again and again. This will also help you save time and money while becoming a welcome and familiar face to your target audience.
- Consistency — Avoid confusing your audience at all costs. It’s always best to stay on-brand with consistent messaging that reflects your company and website. After you’ve collaborated with your team of designers, writers, marketers, and developers to produce a great template, you can avoid turning your audience off.
- Rendering — Before launching an email campaign, mitigating errors is crucial to ensuring that potential customers receive the message the way it was intended. Make sure that images and text appear the way they should by sending a test email to a team member. The feedback you receive will be priceless in the process of fixing and perfecting your email marketing. Once it is sent to the developer to fix, you can confidently send out your expertly crafted pitch. When you repeat this process, you’ll know that you have an email template that is ready to be used at any time.
- Copywriting — Copywriters create an important aspect of your email campaign and it’s best to empower them by including them in the whole picture rather than comment threads and feedback loops. When they can see the email campaign template, they have a more clear and comprehensive idea of a project.
- Analysis — Assessing the effectiveness of your email campaigns will help you identify where changes and improvements should be made. Using email templates makes this process much easier since it gives you the opportunity to make sweeping conclusions when analyzing several campaigns simultaneously. You can easily test the effectiveness of a new image, headline, or content using consistent templates.
Call Today for an Email Campaign Consultation
Measuring the performance of an email campaign can be tricky but we can help you with all aspects of an integrated marketing strategy. Backed by over 25 years of experience in the field of marketing, we take a targeted approach to developing an email campaign with high conversion rates. Give us a call for a free consultation and start your email campaign today!